Before calling the GOP a “party of Apes” and using black congressman Allen West as his example, Bill Maher claimed that the Drudge Report is racist for including news and news photographs of black people.
unfortunately for Maher, The Daily Caller took the time to actually look at each example and reveal that Maher’s presentation was pure distortion as no sane person would read anti-black animus in any of the examples given. Here is the context of each one:
- The Mike Tyson image accompanied an April 12 story in which the former boxer expressed disgust at the fact that George Zimmerman, the Florida man charged in the murder of Trayvon Martin, had not yet been shot.
- The Louis Farrakhan picture was attached to an April 17 story in which the black nationalist heaped praise on conservative commentator Pat Buchanan — calling him a “great Republican.”
- On April 5, a picture of Marion Barry was featured atop a story of the D.C. Council member and former D.C. mayor expressing anger at the District’s Asian-American community for opening businesses in the city, instead of African Americans. “We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops,” Barry said. “They ought to go. I’m going to say that right now. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too.”
- The picture of MSNBC host Al Sharpton and Attorney General Eric Holder appeared on April 11, with a story about Holder praising the left-wing activist for his efforts — protesting and rallying — on behalf of slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin.
- Rev. Jeremiah Wright’s picture was featured with an April 10 story about the president’s former pastor claiming that “white supremacy” is driving “world policy” and that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas worships “some other god.
- April 27’s Michael Jordan picture appeared with a story about how the Charlotte Bobcats’ basketball team owner presided over the “NBA’s worst team ever.”
UPDATE: More racism? This appeared on the Drudge Report on July 28th 2012: